Friday, July 6, 2007

Si se Puede

So I was reading an article on the immigrant "problem" in the United States and I got to thinking. The un-official slogan for the immigrant movement is "Si se Puede" The only problem with this is that it is a Spanish slogan. I do not agree that the English language should be made the official language of the United States however, I do know and accept the fact that this is the most familiar and recognized language. So knowing this why would protesters scream and shout in Spanish or rather only in Spanish?

I am Guatemalan (and not one of those band wagoners who have roots in other countries and claim that country....Irish and Stephanie I am looking directly at you) I was born in another country and immigrated here. When I got here with my brother we both only spoke Spanish.

My mom instead of allowing us to continue speaking Spanish forced us to learn English. I know it is harder to get older people to learn English but if you can cross a river and a desert the very least you can do is try and learn, and I am not even saying this because I don't like people who only speak Spanish. I am saying this because if all these immigrants were to learn English they would be able to survive better.

So maybe instead of the slogan "Si se puede" it should be "teach us English, teach us English."

No comments: