Wednesday, May 30, 2007

O.G.

There are alot of things wrong in the world today. It seems that the world was a much better place when I was a kid growing up. Or is it that I was only ever doing fun things and never really worried about what was going on around me?

You decide but this is what I remember........I remember when gas prices were below $1.50. I remember when cars didn't have airbags....I remember when airbags started to come out they were only on the high end cars.....I remember when walking to school was safe.....I remember when neighbors were in your business and that's the way you liked it....I remember when neighbors were into bad shit but they still watched out for the kids.....

I remember when you could walk through the woods and not worry about being molested or kidnapped, except for four tunnels. I remember when four tunnels was the spot to be if you were brave enough. I remember when places like four tunnels always had somebody there.....

I remember the day I played Mario Bros on Nintendo....I remember when you couldn't play Nintendo all day and night because eventually you would get a headache....I remember that if you could play it all day and night you better not turn it off or you might get the blue screen.....I remember when you would have to jam a piece of wood in to get the game to work.....I remember it being damn worth it......

I remember when I was a remote control......I remember when a wrench was essential to watching TV.....I remember when the two best shows on TV were about a white family and a black family.....I remember when The Simpsons were shorts on the Tracy Ullman show.....I remember when I heard Bart Simpson say "Don't have a Cow Man" and "Eat my Shorts" for the first time....I remember trying to spell "D'oh" for the first time......

I remember when not paying attention in school got you ass whoopings, not a diagnosis and drugs.....I remember when an ass whooping was just that, no cupped hand through the pants bullshit......I remember thinking that I would never do that to my children, now I feel that through those whoopings I earned the right to do it to my kids....

I remember the first time I was allowed to go to the movies without my parent....I remember standing in line to use the pay phone after the movie and not because we couldn't afford a cell phone.

These are just a few things that I remember about the world past. Now it seems that everything is replaced a few years after it is released.

I hope one day my kids will have fond memories of there childhood but I can guarantee that they will not experience any of what I have written.

No comments: