Friday, August 8, 2008

PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE AT THE BEEP

It is the year 2008. The answering machine was invented in 1935. Don't believe me? Check it.



It has been a device that has recorded billions and billions of voices. Billions and billions of messages. I estimate that I have left 3 million voice mails in my life. I have listened to over 4 million. These are not estimates. These are facts.

Having been invented in 1935 there are not many people still alive that have not heard a voice mail or left a voice mail. My grandparents live in Guatemala. They do not own a dryer, a computer or a phone that does not have a spiral cord connecting the base to the phone and this is my grandmother's reaction to an electronic voice telling her to "leave a message after the beep":

"FUCK!! I KNOW!!"

No comments: